The Washington Post’s weekly “Style Invitational” had a recent contest to write alternate, funny clues for the entries in a real crossword written by Paula Gamache. The results are HERE (scroll down to week 792 results).
A few of my clues made the cut, but a gridful of others didn’t. So I’ve taken a dozen of my dumbest rejects and recycled them into a mini puzzle:
Figure out a real crossword entry for each clue.
1. Tro anew: _ _ _ _ _
2. Roach prefix: _ _ _
3. Nut-free donuts: _ _ _
4. Third letter devotee: _ _ _ _
5. Asner’s rehab nickname: _ _ _ _
6. Question at Ye Olde Shoppe: _ _ _ _
7. Screwdriver memo heading: _ _ _ _ _ _
8. Father Ood, post-canonization: _ _ _ _ _
9. Whale-watching states’ border (abbr.): _ _ _ _
10. Score in a Hoc vs. Don tennis match: _ _ _ _ _
11. (clue #10 again, different answer): _ _ _ _ _
12. Where Santa never goes (3 wds.): _ _ _ _ _ _ _
(Answers below in comments)