…about The Partridge Family. It turns out I’m not the first person in my family to have a published crossword puzzle. My wife, Mary Dee, beat me out by about 25 years with this creation.
The album cover was put together at The Music Agency back in the ’70s, where my wife was a beginning art director. They needed an idea for the cover (the songs on the albums didn’t come with a theme), and she suggested doing a crossword puzzle. The boss approved and had her put it together, including hand-drawing the grid (graphics were inked up in those days using a technical pen, T square, and triangle).
Among the other Partridge Family cover titles she created were Notebook, Bulletin Board, and Shopping Bag. One concept that didn’t make it, however, was TV Dinner. A cover comp was made up, showing an aluminum TV dinner tray with the family members’ heads stuck in the different food sections (David Cassidy’s head, for example, rose up out of the mashed potatoes!), but for some reason they passed on it.
Here are a few clues from the Crossword Puzzle album. How well do you remember your Partridge Family facts?
1. The Partridge Family’s favorite network: __ __ __
2. Kind of Partridge Family pet: __ __ __
3. Mother Partridge’s first name: __ __ __ __ __ __ __
4. Keith Partridge’s first name in real life: __ __ __ __ __
5. The Partridge Family’s favorite record company: __ __ __ __
6. This bird is their namesake: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __